Sunday, February 4, 2007

13 Degrees in the Ghetto!!

My coldest workout so far. After running the space heater 1/2 hour it was a near tropical 13 degrees F!!! I wore a snow suit, face mask and heavy insulated leather gloves. The snow suit was a bit small and somewhat limited my ROM. Other than that, it was a very good workout. Surprisingly, the gloves really didn't matter very much. I even did power cleans with them. This might end up being the simplest solution to cold hands. I was really surprise how I was able to hold the bar. My hands and feet were a bit cold by the end. There is no way I would have been able to last with lighter gloves. (note: None of the things I wanted to experiment with, PVC, electric blanket etc came to be. I just ran out of time before the cold arrived.)

The only real mistake was bringing out a pre-chilled soda to drink. Slush quickly developed in it, and spilled all over when I opened in it. The spill then froze instantly on contact with the cement LOL.

And to think, I nearly skipped the confidence building workout. I convinced myself that most athletes in Siberia would me ecstatic to workout in a wind shelter gym at a balmy 13 degrees and went for it. I'm glad I did.